The Old Town of Glurns
A Medieval settlement on the banks of the Etsch River
Beneath the mystical Tartscher Bühel hill in the South Tyrolean Vinschgau/Val Venosta Valley, lies the historic town of Glurns/Glorenza. First mentioned in 1304, the town has a population of just 900 inhabitants making it one of the smallest urban centres. Yet centuries ago, Glurns was once an affluent and bustling trading centre before being burned down during the Battle of Calven in 1499. It was rebuilt with a defensive wall and gate towers that still remain intact, as does the historic town centre with its arcades, old houses and churches. Despite its turbulent history, Glurns still retains a quaint, medieval charm. The world-famous son of the town: artist and draughtsman, Paul Flora, who died in 2009, is commemorated in a permanent exhibition at the old Tauferer Torturm tower.